A virtual private network (VPN) lets your devices pretend to be in other countries all around world. This can be really useful with services like Hulu, allowing you to stream exclusive content. However, not all VPNs unblock hulu, which means you must get a subscription with a VPN that works.
If you have already picked a VPN that is known to support hulu and you’re still having trouble, you can use this guide to troubleshoot it. We have included fixes for all the most common issues you may encounter, including paying for the service, getting your VPN working and common error codes.
Hulu VPN not working? Here’s how to fix it
If your VPN isn’t working to access hulu, here is what we recommend:
To help you out, we have also included information on how to resolve common hulu error codes, as well as a guide on how to deal with problems paying for hulu from outside of the US.
Ask your VPN Provider for the best server
hulu only licenses its content for the US market, meaning that it faces pressure from partners to limit international access to the service by using geo-restrictions. hulu knows that people can bypass these geo-filters with a VPN, and, for this reason, it spends a lot of time blocking IP addresses that belong to VPNs. In 2020, very few VPNs remain that work with hulu.
If you have subscribed to a VPN that knows how to bypass hulu’s VPN blocks, then your VPN will work to stream hulu. However, most VPNs have a large choice of US server locations and not all of them work with hulu. For this reason, it is essential to check with your VPN provider to find out which server to use with hulu.
Simply visit your providers website and ask via live chat. All our recommended VPNs for hulu all offer live chat, and they can often provide you with a quick answer.
Check your browser
It is possible that your browser is at fault for the error messages you are seeing, bypassing the VPN and letting hulu know what your real location is. This can be caused by trying to access hulu without connecting to a VPN, but can also be the fault of your browser’s built in GPS tracker.
We outline steps on how to fix this on Google Chrome, however similar processes can be done on other browsers:
- Clear your cookies and delete the contents of your browser cache. In Chrome, click:Settings > Advanced > Privacy and Security > Clear Browsing data > Clear Data.Please note: It is especially vital to clear your cookies and cache before attempting to subscribe to hulu with a VPN.
- Disable GPS tracking. In Chrome, go to:Settings > Advanced > Privacy and Security > Location > Ask before accessing (recommended).Alternatively, you can use this in-depth guide to disable geolocation tracking in your browser.
- Restart your browser.It’s always worth starting a fresh session, but it is important if you’ve booted your browser without connecting to your VPN first.
Fix DNS leaks
None of the VPNs we have recommended for streaming hulu suffer from any kind of leak. If you are using a VPNoutside of these suggestions, however, you may need to check that your VPN is not suffering DNS leaks. DNS leaks reveal your real location to hulu, which stops you from accessing the service.
Test Your VPN for Leaks
ProPrivacy has made it easier than ever to check for leaks on your VPN with a comprehensive leak testing tool. Start by clicking the button above and following the on-screen instructions. If you find that your hulu VPN has a leak, head over to our guide on how to fix a DNS leak.
Fix WebRTC leaks
Much like DNS leaks, WebRTC leaks can reveal your real location to the websites you visit. If you’ve used our leak testing tool and run into a WebRTC leak, then you might need to plug a WebRTC leak to get it working.
Either of these solutions will fix your problem if it is being caused by a WebRTC leak. Alternatively, you could subscribe to one of our 5 recommended best VPNs for hulu because they do not suffer from IP leaks, DNS leaks, or WebRTC leaks.
How to fix hulu Error Codes
hulu error codes often point to a problem in one of three areas; the device or hardware being used, the internet connection, and server-side issues caused by hulu being down. Below we will walk you through all the most common error codes and explain what you can do to fix them.
How to Fix hulu Error Code 3 and 5
These two error codes are caused by either a problem with your internet connection, or a problem accessing the content on hulu’s server. Both errors are usually served with one of the following warnings:
- Error playing this video
- Sorry, we encountered an error playing this video. Please try restarting the video or select something else to watch
- We’re having trouble loading this right now
- Please check your internet connection and try again
If you experience this problem, it is worth checking your internet and VPN connection to be sure that everything is working properly. If the VPN seems to be working, and your internet connection is ok, try the following fixes:
How to Fix hulu 500 Error
This is a server error caused by hulu and will only appear when watching hulu in an internet browser. It is usually accompanied by one of the following messages:
- There was an error on this page (500 error)
- Sorry – We’ve encountered an unexpected error. We’ve been notified about this issue, and we’ll take a look at it shortly.
To fix this error, try:
- Checking your internet connection and ensure that your VPN works correctly
- Refreshing the hulu web page and try again
- Try streaming the show in a different browser (Firefox, for example)
How to Fix hulu Error Code 400
This error code is served when there is a problem with your account information, usually on a mobile device. To fix this issue, ensure that your VPN connection is established, and that you are on the correct US server for hulu. If that fails, try removing the hulu app and reinstalling it on your device.
If you are served the 400 Error as soon as you log in to your account, you may need to remove the device from your account and then re-add it. To do this:
- Log in to hulu
- Click on your name located in the top-right of the screen
- Click on Profiles
- Enter your password
- Click on Manage devices
- Remove the mobile device or games console that is causing the problem
- Now that you have removed the device, delete the hulu app from your device and reinstall it.
- Log in to hulu on your device and the Error 400 should be fixed.
How to Fix hulu Error Code 16
This is an invalid region error. If you get this message, you VPN is either not connected or not working. To fix this issue:
- Check that your VPN is connected to the correct US server
- Restart your browser and log back in to hulu
How to Fix hulu Error Code 5003
This is a Playback error caused by the device you are trying to watch hulu on. To fix this issue:
- Update the hulu app
- Remove and reinstall the hulu app
- Ensure that your device is up to date
- Try a different device
hulu won’t Accept my Card
hulu is a US-only service. For this reason, hulu only accepts local US card payments. If you have successfully accessed the hulu subscription page with your VPN, and you have tried to pay for a subscription with an international credit or debit card, you will have received the following error message: We are unable to process your payment method.
The good news is that it is possible to pay for hulu from outside of the US. However, to do so you must choose one of the following two methods:
Paying for hulu will work using either of the methods above. If you are a person who desires access to multiple US services, we recommend going to the trouble of getting a virtual US card. With a virtual card, you can easily add money to your account and pay for a whole multitude of US-based services with a VPN.
If you are only interested in accessing hulu, a gift card is going to be the easiest and quickest way of paying. hulu gift cards that you purchase online are delivered via email, and you can easily redeem them on the hulu website while connected to your VPN.